Looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Marketing and the Good News: The Good News (part 4)

My friend Bruce told me about his new sports car. He was excited. I was jealous. He told me a bit about the history of the particular model he bought. Initially, sales were flat, but that all changed when the price was raised. He said the price increase was not about costs, but marketing. Then perception of the car, according to him, changed. When it was priced too low in comparison with its competitors, it was considered "cheap" rather than inexpensive. But when the price was raised, consumers found it desirable, and sales greatly increased. It must have worked. Even though Bruce understood the ploy, he wanted one and bought it.

A few years later, when I had a small, struggling, remodeling business, I remembered what Bruce told me. I raised my rates significantly and I got a lot more business, Previously, my rates had been very low. I thought I needed to do that to "get my foot in the door" in establishing my business. I finally realized that if a family wanted their kitchen remodeled, being able to trust a contractor to value their home, possessions, and even their well being was vitally important. With this in mind, they often didn't look to the cheapest price. In fact, a cheap price made them wary.

I believe the same thing applies to sharing the Good News. With the best of intentions, the Gospel is made easy and inexpensive. A few easy steps and your sins are forgiven. Then you begin a personal relationship with God. Most of us would be wary of buying a Rolex watch from a man with a dozen watches on his arm, standing on a city street corner. And the world is wary of us when we try to "sell" good news when nothing of substance is required in return.

Of course, we can't earn or buy salvation, but Jesus often made it clear that it was costly. It requires an exchange of all that we hold dear to gain something much better. The rich young man came running to Jesus and wanted the secret of eternal life. Obedience to the rules was discussed and rejected as being insufficient. Jesus then told him to sell everything, give to the poor, and he would have heavenly treasure. THEN follow Him.

The man was unwilling to pay the cost but understood the value. As he left, neither was in doubt. The cost is his (and my) everything--my possessions, perspectives, and passions. The value received is His Everything--His Provision, Wisdom, Love, and Life Forever.

Marketing that manipulates often produces a sale immediately and buyer's remorse later because the cost or product is not accurately portrayed. Whether in the marketplace or in the church, it's the same. Unfortunately, we often understate the cost and misstate the benefits. That doesn't result in a good retention rate or in good "referrals".

Perhaps, Jesus made it clear that the cost was high both because it was true, and also because He knew people instinctively equate cost with value. If it's cheap, it's of little value. The gospel is neither.

Matthew 19:20 The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?" 21 Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment