Looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God

Sunday, November 4, 2012

What if Jesus were a politician?

I can see it now. The camera pans the crowd—crying women, the crowd in the background milling around the tomb. The man standing at the side, a tear running down his cheek. The sun is setting behind him, accenting every feature. His hair seems to be glowing. He speaks, his voice full and resonate: “Lazarus, come out of the tomb. LIVE!” As the tomb opens, the man in the shroud emerges. The women appear dazed with joy. The announcer: “A vote for Jesus....”

As I write, it's the close of an election season. A very long season. Mailings. Advertisements. Commercials. Videos. Many people spending a whole lot of money to get you and me to assent to the rightness of their cause and candidacy. A product they want me to buy, a product that will make my life better. Or so they say. The cost is my contribution and my vote. And perhaps a whole lot more...

...Truth. It can't be purchased. It doesn't care if I affirm it. Or not. Truth won't fit in a soundbite, is never comfortable, safe, or entirely what is expected. It does not change with demographics, or favor those already favored.

I cannot incorporate truth into my life. If I open the door to it, it will either come in and rule; or it will not enter at all.

Jesus is not a politician, but I fear we sometimes treat him as one. His Words become soundbites to convince and cajole others to our point of view. We “like” Him, admire Him, and want to with His adoring crowds, but draw back from obeying Him. Gathering together can be an event to be publicized rather than a time to abandon ourselves to worship and gratitude. His commandments become little more than a campaign platform, a wish list of platitudes. Our outreach is based on demographics and budgets to gain adherents, not the mandate to present Good News of great joy to the hungry, thirsty, and desperate.

Jesus is a leader, a King, not a politician. A leader to be followed—not from a distance, not on a Twitter account, not “liked” on Facebook. I can serve Him, but not assist Him. He doesn't need my support. I need His.

I'm glad. I'm weary of politicians. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment